Custom Search
Apple iTunes
Family Vacations - General (728x90)

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lesson Fourteen: Everybody Loves A Good Book


One of my favorite places in the world is a book store.  I love reading as does my husband so we have been successful in raising voracious readers.  The girls constantly have several books going at one time.  They are always telling us that we should read this book or that book.  Not that I don't trust my children, but I don't always have the same taste in books as they do.  (They inhaled the Twilight series  for instance and I just couldn't get into it).

I have been part of a pretty active book club for about 5 years now.  We all have different tastes in books so we are sometimes stretched to read things that are outside of our comfort zone.  Recently one of the members chose a book that her high schooler was reading, The Hunger Games.  I picked it up, read the back and groaned.  I very much dislike futuristic, Mad Max books and movies and as this book takes place in a future year, I wasn't looking forward to reading it at all.

Like a good little book club member though, I plunged in.  Much to my surprise, I found that I was completely sucked into this book within about 2 pages of starting it.  I love when characters are written well and these characters are very real.  I absolutely loved the book and finished it quickly.

I asked my daughters if they had ever heard of the book and they had.  I told them both it was a great book and they should read it.  My oldest daughter decided to read it first.  I knew that she was enjoying it just as much as I was when we couldn't get her out of her room on a Saturday afternoon because she was reading.  Once she finished it, my other daughter started to read it.  Once again, I knew she was enjoying it when I couldn't get her out of bed for school because she was reading in bed after her alarm went off.  She has not yet finished it, but it won't be long.

I am surprised that all of us read and thoroughly enjoyed the same book.  In fact, my oldest daughter has a friend who has the second book and when she told me she was going to ask her to borrow it, I told her that I get first dibbs on reading it!

In the era of Ipods and laptops and Wii games, I am thrilled that my children can still find joy in reading a good book.  I am even more thrilled that we can enjoy the same book and have a conversation about how much we enjoyed it.

Lesson Fourteen:  Everybody loves a good book.

1 comment:

  1. You're such a good mom, and a great person, and i love you!

    ReplyDelete