Custom Search
Apple iTunes
Family Vacations - General (728x90)

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Lesson Seven: Individuality is Over-Rated


Our holidays were wonderful and the girls are very happy with all of their gifts.  They have worn all of their new clothes and tried out all of their new gadgets and games and taken time to read their new books and watch their new movies. 

Of course it isn't good enough to enjoy all of your new goods with just your sister, so at the first opportunity they asked if they could have a sleepover with friends.  My girls happen to be friends with two sisters who are the same age as my girls so the 4 of them are great friends.  They asked if the two friends could come to our house to spend the night and we said they could.

I shouldn't have been surprised when the friends arrived but I was.  There are my two girls with their highly coveted North Face Oso jackets, fuzzy boots and their new purple T-Mobile phones awaiting the arrival of their friends.  In walk the two friends wearing what exactly??  North Face Oso jackets, fuzzy boots and carrying their purple phones.  I had no idea that the things my girls were asking for were what everyone else was asking for!

As the friends walked in, I asked them all if it bothered them that they were all the same.  They each giggled and told me resolutely NO!  They were perfectly happy to all look the same.  I guess at this age, girls are much more concerned about being just like everyone else than they are about having some individuality.  I sincerely hope that the individuality comes later.

Lesson Seven:  Individuality is over-rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment