Custom Search
Apple iTunes
Family Vacations - General (728x90)

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lesson Two: Parents Aren't Always As Dumb As They Look



I remember the days when I thought my parents were dumber than a box of rocks.  I thought they didn't know anything at all about being a kid and I'm well aware that the day would come when my daughters
would do the same.  Well, we're there.

Today is a crisp winter day and we started the morning at a chilly 27 degrees.  My daughters, who typically wear the standard tween uniform of skinny jeans, layered t-shirts and converse came down for breakfast in the exact same outfit that they would have worn had it been 67 degrees instead of 27. As they started to head out the door, I suggested to them that maybe they might want to wear a coat.

Enter the eye-rolling, big sigh and hands on hips attitude of an 11 and 12 year old.  "Why would we wear a coat, we'll never wear it, it will just end up in our locker anyway".  Note that both girls have very nice winter jackets that were plenty "cool" when they begged us for them last winter.

After much arguing and eye-rolling from all sides, the girls both left with a lightweight zip up sweatshirt.  They left in a huff, grumbling the entire time about how unfair it was and how I didn't know anything.

At last they were gone and I settled into a nice, quiet house, free from attitude.  By 9:15am (15 minutes after the start of school) I receive a phone call from my daughter.  "Mom, I'm really sorry about this morning".  Uh-huh, I can see already that there is more to this conversation than a bad case of guilt, but I thank her for the apology anyway reminding her that it is my job to make sure my children are safe and happy and healthy at all times.  Then I wait.  I know there is more, but am I going to help her out with this conversation?  Not a chance.

"I was wondering if you were doing anything right now."  Hmmm, getting closer to the real reason for the call...."I was wondering if you would bring me a sweatshirt because the classrooms are all really cold."

Well, what do you know?  Sometimes parents actually know what they are talking about!

Lesson Two:  Parents aren't always as dumb as they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment